A Basic Overview of Single Parent Statistics
Everyone has their own preconceived notions about single parents, but have you ever looked at any single parenting statistics? You may find that they paint a picture that is significantly different from the one that you had already held firm in you mind. The following will seek to provide you with thought provoking information regarding these single parenting statistics.
When it comes to single parenting statistics, the first thing you should know is that there are currently 14 million single parents in the United states of America alone. Together these parents are in the process of raising about 21.6 millions children.
One thing about these parents that should come as no surprise to you is that the majority of them are women, 83.1 percent of them to be specific. This leaves a total of 16.9 percent that are single fathers. Most of these mothers are either divorced or separated: There are about 45.9 percent who are separated or divorced and 30.5 percent who have never been married. When it comes to single parent statistics regarding fathers, the numbers are slightly different. About 56.4 percent are separated or divorced and only 23.1 percent have never been married.
Something else that single parent statistics inform us of is that the majority of these parents, whether male or female, are working full time jobs. More specifically, 79.5 percent of custodial single mothers are gainfully employed, the majority of which are working full time with the other 29.7 percent working part time or part year. Single fathers on the other hand have a slightly higher ratio with 90 percent being gainfully employed, 71.7 percent working full time, year round.
One common myth that single parents statistics dispel is that most single mothers live in poverty. The truth of the matter is that only a very small portion of these moms are poor, about 27 percent. When it comes to male parents that number is even lower with 12.9 percent living in poverty. That is not to say that these single moms and dads are not having financial hardships; however, most of them are willing to work and earn enough money to provide for themselves and for their children.
Also in relation to that point, single parents statistics reveal that most custodial single mothers are not receiving any form of government assistance. About only 22 percent of these moms are on Medicaid, 23.5 percent are currently receiving food stamps, 12 percent are receiving housing assistance of some sort, and 5 percent are on welfare.
Hopefully you now have a better understanding of what single parenting statistics really have to say about these moms and dads who are on their own as parents. It's important to keep these facts in mind the next time you are around someone who is a single mom or dad.
Tags: single parents statistics
More Articles in this Category:Basic Advice for Single Parents
Interesting Facts about Single Mother Statistics
Facts Concerning Single Mothers Legal Rights
A Few Important Books on Single Parenting
Effects of Single Parents and Black Males in Today's Society
Black Single Parents: What do you Need to do?
Single Parenting and Black Males
Challenges of Single Parenting Today
Single Parents and the Rise of Crime Rates Among Children